Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

factory outlet

johnsbricksjohnsbricks Member Posts: 210
edited June 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
hi, sorry if this has been discussed but i cant find a search function on the forum for iphone ... anyways...
Are there factory outlets for lego? Where do all the shop damaged stock/returns go? thanks
John
Post edited by @Matthew -24/06/11 16.37 BST - Reason for Edit: Moved to 'Buying and Selling'

Comments

• bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    IIRC, one of the Colorado stores (I think the Denver store - http://stores.lego.com/en-us/Denver/LandingPage.aspx ) used to be an 'outlet'-style store. In recent years a lot of the US stock damaged in-transit has gone back to Enfield (LEGO HQ for the US) and been sold at AFOL events; this has been stopped this year, as LEGO say they've managed to reduce the amount of in-transit damaged stock to almost zero. In my nearest store in the UK, they usually sell off any stock with light damage at a small discount, or recycle parts into 'grab bags' for more badly damaged sets.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    We have a Lego Store in an outlet mall (Potomac Mills) but I don't know if that means it is also an outlet. That being said, it seems no different than other Lego Stores to me.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    this has been stopped this year, as LEGO say they've managed to reduce the amount of in-transit damaged stock to almost zero.
    This is a tangent, but I wonder what Toys R Us does with all the returned LEGO sets that are damaged due to their horrendously insufficient packaging. I realize not everyone cares about the condition of the box, but I would guess that more than half of every set above $150 suffers damage due to the weight of the set.

Does anyone know?

• scrapdscrapd Member Posts: 16
    Hello all, first time poster here.

I also wonder what Toys R Us does with all their returned items. I recieved eight sets today and each and every box was damaged. Granted some of it was minor, but one of my smaller sets was shipped in an envelope and simply shoved in my mailbox. Shipping practices like this could lead me to stop buying from them.

Anyone else having serious issues with Toys R Us shipping practices?

Thanks for letting me rant.
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    edited July 2011
    Sorry for staying off-topic, but just wanted to note that I received 2 TRU packages today with modular building sets and there was no damage to eith box. This is my first and only TRU online purchase, so I count myself lucky aft all the damaged box accounts I have read.

I was in TRU a couple weeks ago and saw a large DUPLO set that I had never before seen in store. The box was badly damaged, but the product was not discounted at all. I now realize that it must have been an online purchase that got returned to the store due to poor packaging. It was a shame that TRU didn't offer an outlet-like price on it since I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay full price for a badly damaged box that looked as though parts could have been missing.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Similar story here. At my local TRU there were two large sets sitting on the floor which were badly damaged - a Diagon Alley and a Grand Emporium. No discount.

In my recent purchases I had two sets which had damage. See attached photo of one of the boxes. That box had a Shuttle Adventure set which was severely compressed.

• mackrelmackrel Member Posts: 75
    TRU does not offer discounts on damaged boxes. If the actually contents have not been damaged then they will not offer any discounts. I tried to get a discount on a train set. That was the SOP line I was giving. As for what happens to the boxes....probably back to TLG.
  • gtg905sgtg905s Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2011
    The Lego Store near me receives a large damaged shipment periodically, but they always seem to have more then one set that goes on the damaged shelf after their mid week shipments.

The deemed fully damaged shipments are a great deal on new large/exclusive sets.
    I picked up a Tower Bridge set for $174.99 a Green Grocer for $75 (yes and it was somehow left over in the warehouse's damaged section, they only received two and would only sell me one) and a Fire Bridge & Emporium for $119.99

The Modular buildings just had a crease on the box, but the Tower Bridge had a through and through hole in it. I didn't care, they checked all the packaging and it is all there so I was happy :-)

The smaller and popular sets get a very small discount on them, but still a better discount then nothing. I bought all my Cars 2 sets that way and not to mention the Target & KMart sales that push them down to 50% off. I bought my two Ultimate Building Lightning McQueen from Target for $14.99 each.

A good time to buy Lego sets right now ;-)