Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Grab Bags

princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
edited July 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
Guys,
Popped to Westfield (UK) store yesterday and picked up a few grab bags, thought I would post my haul here so that you guys could consider if you think it is a bargain or not and make a more informed decision on whether to pick one up yourselves.

Each bag is £5.85 (you get VIP points as usual)
Each bag had over 300 pieces, 314 in one (if i counted correctly).
Had these made up for me as they had run out so I couldnt pick and choose.
Got quite a lot of black and lime which is could come in handy for my Halloween Haunted house i plan to make.
A nice little Chef minifig complete.
A yellow plate with Pizza Planet on it, I assume from: 7598
A nice full glass door which I had not seen before and I may look to pick up more of for MOC's.
Anyway, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, so here is 2000 words worth (2 bags, one in each photo):
imageimage

oops think i posted one picture twice and cant work out how to remove.. Doh!

Comments

• Agent_DebrisAgent_Debris Member Posts: 55
    Wow not bad at all some nice pieces for the price, my nearest store is MK but they never seem to have any of these, though will admit I dont go there that often.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    ^ There were 2 grab bags in the MK store this morning when I popped in to check out the sale items; I didn't buy them, but they won't have lasted long. They typically only do them occasionally, when they are rearranging the store; the grab bags are usually made up of parts from (former) in-store display models (licensed minifigs are supposed to be removed) & excess PaB.
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    edited June 2011
    My wife picked up a grab abg from Cardiff when it opened had lots of Harry potter lego from the board game and the normal sets. She said there were loads and wishes she picked up more. Will keep an eye out as seems very good value.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    edited January 2012
    Happiness is going through the contents of my grab bags while I'm sitting in front of a changing room at Banana Republic where my wife is checking out her new finds...
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Cool, I always wondered where those grab bags came from
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    I dropped by our LEGO store while they were in the process of preparing some grab bags - they emptied out their PAB wall and had some returns from the Christmas rush that couldn't be resold and some leftovers from the build a brick event.

So far, I've seen Star Wars, Harry Potter, lots of Ninjago and Friends sets in the bags.

I may have gone a little overboard.

Grab bag?!
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,302
    WOW!!!
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    *drools on keyboard*

Wow, that is darn cool... While you spent a few hundred dollars on those, something tells me that you did ok...

Brick sorting party at littletoki's house!!! :)
    @LegoFanTexas. LMAO. That is exactly what I've been doing for the last 2 hours.

$7.99 a bag and no tax (Yay for Oregon). And this was only the tip of the iceberg. I've never seen anything like it. The LEGO store probably had over 150+ grab bags tonight.

I jokingly asked if I could buy them all and they paused and said yes. Normally, they limit you to 4 per person. But, I think I did okay in restraining myself. So for other members in Oregon, the Tigard store has a bunch of grab bags in the back!

Best discovery so far - I think there's most of a Winter Post Office! :D
    You didn't buy them all???

If they were from sets, wouldn't you have to buy them all to make sure you were getting complete sets? Or was just way too much of it from the PAB wall?

My local store often has 10 or 15 made up, half from the PAB wall, some from broken sets... Never seen 150 of them! Sheesh... I would be tempted, but that is over a thousand dollars... doable of course, but that is a lot of money for random bricks...

Hmm, I could start a heck of a bricklink store with all that!

Shame you're in Oregon, I'd bring my kids over, they would be happy to sort for an hour in exchange for some colorful bricks you wouldn't miss anyway. :)
    Believe me, I was sorely, sorely tempted to just take the whole lot. But most of the bags were filled with 2x4 bricks from the PAB wall - anywhere from 30-50% of the content. Which while nice, don't really interest me.

But I did go through every bag to see which ones had unique pieces or parts of a set.

Heck, @Legofantexas, if you were local, I'd pay your kids in minifigures to sort my collection.

And if those grab bags made you drool - suffice it to say, thinking of your collection causes a severe case of dehydration. :D
    @littletoki - minifigs, you might get my son all afternoon!

Last week we were at the Lego store filling some PAB boxes (the ones from before Christmas), and the BAM bar was really a mess, so the manager comes over to the 5 or 6 kids standing around and told them all that if they cleaned up the whole bar and sorted the parts, they could each build two minifigs for free to take home.

Needless to say, that thing was clean in 20 minutes. It had been a terrible mess, but it looked fresh and new after they were done with it. My son was so happy and proud of the minifigs he built!!! :)

They are still sitting on the build table, he likes them because he designed them himself.

I hear you about being tempted, but if they were indeed up to 50% standard bricks, then that isn't such a good deal. We have plenty 2x4 bricks ourselves, what we need are flats and plates, and odd parts, not more bricks.
    @LegoFanTexas. That Lego store manager was a GENIUS. The same thing happened at my LEGO store - the BAM bar was a nightmare so they just packed up the parts into grab bags. I bought 8 grab bags (which was the limit) and was able to make more than 150 minifigures. Happy, happy day.

Does your son know that he lives in the Ultimate LEGO Nirvana house yet?! :)

Tomorrow, I'll post some photos of the contents of the grab bag like princedraven did. I'm mostly interested in the minifigures but my husband is like you - he wants plates, flats, arches, slopes and odd parts.
    8 bags got you 150 minifigures!!! Wow that's amazing!
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    @LegoFanTexas and @littletoki, you guysssssssss. Tempting me so much. And I am sitting so far away from such amazing deals. So not fair!

Now to the tough part of my comment. Can I get lucky to get these grab bags all the way to Pakistan?
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    It's interesting around here. I have two stores within striking distance. One rarely has grab bags, the other always has them. Why?

Well the first store when they have them packs them to overflowing. They literally tape the top closed b/c it's too full for the zip seal to work. The other packs them maybe half full...maybe, and they just end up sitting there.

Last time the first store had them, we were lucky, b/c my sons had just decided to sell their Batcave to buy more newer Legos. They had just put out a whole load of new bags, and one of my sons decided to use all his money for those. I think he bought 15 or 20 of them. He ended up with a boatload of minifigs, mostly from the (then) new star wars and HP sets and was able to put together several sets from the bags including some architecture sets. Tremendous value.

This reminds me that I need to start asking around that store again when they might put some more out...
    @Coolsplash. I'm not sure it would be worth it for just regular 2x4 and 2x6 bricks. I'm assuming that you'd like to someone to pick them up and then mail them to you close to cost + shipping?
    edited January 2012
    Here's a sampling of one of the grab bags. Sorry it's so messy. I wasn't motivated to line them up as nicely as princedraven.

LEGO Grab bag contents

And a closeup of the minifigures:

LEGO Grab bag contents

Okay, one down. 34 to go.
  • choob99choob99 Member Posts: 147
    I really need to get myself to a lego store!!!!
    @littletoki - nice set of parts for a grab bag... :)

*hmm, calculates drive time to Oregon from Texas...*
  • sramsram Member Posts: 60
    Is it really worthwhile to buy a grab bag? I never could justify the cost - besides PaB walls provide better source. You actually know what you are buying!!!

Assume $8 for a grab bag of 300 pieces. Perhaps the price is right? Though I doubt one gets 300 pieces every time.
  • therittertheritter Member Posts: 10
    When I got Fire Brigade at the Disneyland store a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a few grab bags sitting there and decided to toss a couple of them in with the purchase. I ignored the grab bags until after I built my FB, but when I dumped out the bag, all of the parts looked really familiar... I ended up with about 30-40% of another FB between those two bags. I wish I had picked up the other three bags!
    I've gotten a lot of Technic parts in grab bags, and a few odds and ends. Lots of ladders and wings, not too many bricks, but that is because I avoid those...
  • choob99choob99 Member Posts: 147
    May seem like a stupid question, but is there a database anywhere that you can put in all you loose pieces and it will tell you what set you almost have complete?
    Rebrickable is the closest I know, and it only does sets...

It seems that putting in thousands of random parts would... take awhile... but that is just me. :)
    Ok, I have to say that the two colorado stores suck.. no grab bags.... I've had great luck with SoCal and Chicago area, but in CO, when I asked about grab bags they said... huh? We had some a while ago but nothing recent.... though the outlet store outside of denver did yield a nice price on a beat up box 4436.... 30% off for a bent box :)
    edited January 2012
    Sorry @Legofantexas. I don't think there'll be any left by morning. I may have bought a few more. >.>

As for value, it's all depends on what you get. The last time we bought a bunch of grab bags, there was most of an Emerald Night (I know!!!) and Hogwarts.

This time, I've gone through all of the bags and it seems that most are comprised of City sets (almost all of Police Station), Winter Village Post Office, a few Harry Potter, Pirates, Ninjago, and lots of Star Wars minifigs.

We really wanted odd and unique pieces and staples, such as plates, arches and slopes and we got those in spades.

edited January 2012
    @littletoki - I wasn't thinking of going to the Lego store there, anything good will be gone long before then...

I was thinking part sorting party at your house, I'll bring the drinks... ;)

(in return, you can come down here and admire what a thousand Lego sets look like stacked up in storage)
    I'll bring my checkbook. You're bound to have extras! LOL.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Went to one of my Lego stores today and they had a sign on the grab bag bin that said "Limit of 3".
    Mine normally limits you to 4 per person, when they even have them. This was a very unusual occurrence.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,910
    With a LEGO Store opening soon here in Vancouver, I hope I will be able to pick some of these up.
    I just came back from Denver and was surprised to find out that one store never has them (per the employees) and the other has them only when they get couple damaged sets/returns and that's a rare occurrence... I have to say that I was disappointed and came back empty handed especially since their pick a brick wall was disappointing as well...
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    @ludzik - grab bags are simply a way for stores to dispose of previous display models, etc. There is thus no expectation that these will be prevalent throughout your travels.
    I never bought them before but after going through this discussion I may be hooked as it is exciting to see what sets they could be. Didn't get anything of interest in my first grab however . . .
    ^ It's like gambling with LEGO. Hehe.

I totally know what you mean. I'm almost done opening up all the bags and I'm amazed at the selection!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,910
    ^ Take some pictures of all your opened grab bags!
    @Yellowcastle ... I know, I've just gotten spoiled from all the grab bags I've been picking up while traveling :)
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    Slightly different, but a few years ago (2006 I think) they set up a sale tent at Legoland Windsor, and were selling off excess baggies from sets by weight. I filled three large Lego shop bags worth, spending about £150 at the time.

I had a look recently at the bags in the attic and found amongst HP, Technic, Mindstorms and Castle, I picked up around 100 small baggies from 10123 Cloud City, and 40 baggies containing most of the minifigs from set 7264 ...

Anyone know if this still happens? If so, what's the cheapest way to get an annual pass? :-)
  • johnsbricksjohnsbricks Member Posts: 210
    annual pass now £49.50 direct from legoland.co.UK, possibly quidco or topcashback as well...
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    I was at the Lego Store in San Jose the other day hoping to get some grab bags. I got excited when I saw the tray of them, but it turns out that they were just filled with old PAB parts in white and lime green. There were no parts from dismantled sets or BAM parts. The grab bags are really hit or miss, it seems.
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    Went to the local Lego store this week but no grab bags...PAB was pretty weak as well but I went ahead and filled up 2 of my holiday boxes. My store hasn't had any grab bags in my last 4 visits or so dating back to November...I need my fix!
    ^ Take some pictures of all your opened grab bags!
    Will do. It's taking me some time to go through it all though. It's close to 40 lbs of LEGO to sort!

So.. those that live in OC.... visit the store in DownTown Disney. They temporarily moved locations (they're renovating their original location) and they have a really nicely stocked tub with grab bag fodder.... I came back with two ;) I'm happy but they are making them as they run out.... so definitely worth a visit.
    OOOh! might have to check that out ;) Any limits? Ontario put a 3 bag limit sign on theres.
    ^^ That is tempting! but I doubt I'll make it there before @gmpirate...haha
    Just got back! They will make you more if you ask. Seems they mixed their PAB stuff in pretty good but its always fun to see what I got. I'll open a few now and maybe go back tonight . . .
    Yup,l they're pretty good about that :D And as far as I know.. no limits which is dangerous! I'm tempted to go back BUT I'm flying to FL tomorrow and will be in the close proximity to the Orlando Lego store :D So........ I probably should not go crazy on spending :D
    edited February 2012
    Bah, pretty poor grab bags yesterday. A few "maybe" interesting pieces but otherwise just a bunch of bricks. Always a good value compared to the PAB cups but otherwise . . . Since they downsized the store I thought they might be good given they had to take down all their models. Oh well, maybe I will stop by today and see if they have a bunch of bags out to inspect.
    Well, my stash was pretty good :) Today I visited the Orlando store and they had none :(