The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Big Ben Vs Competing Big Ben

PocketmegoPocketmego Member Posts: 24
Hello all,

This is my first post and kind of a risky one considering the infamous Brand Loyalty of Lego Fans. ;)

But, I was hoping for an honest comparison before making the plunge into the Architecture Series. I had been dabbling in Nanoblocks and I do enjoy them. In fact my Youtube channel has a few Vintage Lego Sets rebuilt at 200Xs smaller scale with Nanoblocks. http://www.youtube.com/user/pocketmego

But, I am also a Lego fan and have not gotten into the Architecture stuff, yet. But, I really dig microbuilds and Creator stuff. But, I did build the Nanoblock Big Ben.

I'm going to get the Architecture Big Ben. But, I'd love to hear some thoughts, comparisons (if any), and a general idea of the set and line in general.

Thanks

-Ray

Comments

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    My wife has built a bunch of the animals, I found the Brandenburger Tor set on clearance over the weekend for $2.50 which is pretty cool. They are fiddly and instructions aren't as good as Legos.

Thinking of getting some bigger sets and maybe the Schloss Neuschwanstein Deluxe castle. At 6800 tiny tiny pieces I'm not sure how ones sanity would hold up though.

I think they are cool and not really a Lego clone as Lego doesn't make pieces so small, so I think as an AFOL I can get away with liking them :p
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I'll add that I think I prefer the look of the Nanoblock land mark sets (towers etc) compared to the Lego architecture sets, they are more detailed. Lego obviously has much better clutch though.

• PocketmegoPocketmego Member Posts: 24
    Thanks, Basta. I also have to give Lego the nod on those fantastic Manuals and base plates. Lego will always have the edge in packaging and quality. The only problem I see is the detail. Something like the Sydney Opera house needed to be brick built. But, it would have driven the piece count sky high. But, the solution...well we know what the solution looks like. I do prefer that Lego opted for printed tiles vs stickers for the Big Ben Clock face. Nano block sticker quality is awful.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,917
    I would love it if Modulex made a comeback. For starters, the Minecraft set would be made out of proper cubes :)
  • monte_netmonte_net Member Posts: 95
    edited April 2013
    As a Lego fan I was quite excited when I discovered Nanoblocks because they looked more detailed. However, I only bought the Meerkats set and the experience of putting it together was horrendous. No clutch whatsoever (which made me feel very frustrated), poor instructions, and the bricks / blocks are indeed tiny and difficult (somehow) to handle. I decided not to buy any of the other sets although I am very tempted by the larger version of the Schloss Neuschwanstein castle.

From the Architecture range Robie House is the only one I like. It reminds me of the old Lego set I had when I was a kid. It is an expensive set, but it has been discounted on various European amazon sites.
    Thanks for heads up on the Robbie House discounts. That is a really nice looking set.
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    I thought this was a Lego forum?

The only discussion here about clones should be Will it Blend?

http://twicsy.com/i/USNAQ

In case anyone forgot the answer ;-)
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Don't like the Big Ben Lego set, think its a very poor interpretation and just doesn't work at that scale. The architecture series works well IMO for skyscrapers and modern stuff which are very simplistic in their nature but not for old buildings with more detail needed.
    Well, I did get Big Ben and will build it later and share my thoughts. I added microbuit Tardis to the Nanoblock one and it was slightly off scale. I'll see about adding a more in scale version to this one. Gotta have my WHO reference. :)
    OK, Big Ben is built...

I really enjoyed this build. As a person who prefers Microbuilds and the building process, I'm definitely the audience for the Architecture line. It certainly feels more solid and substantial than the Nanoblock version. And, of course, the instructions were much clearer and easier to follow.

I definitely need to invest in bigger sets. As someone pointed out, not only is there greater inherent value in bigger sets, but the build will last longer and that is certainly my favorite part. One of the reasons I gravitated to the Nanoblock version first was simply more pieces and a longer build, because that is my favorite thing about brick toys, the building. But, I suspect something like the Falling Water and the Robey House will give me plenty to do for a while.