Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mr. Gold on eBay

124»

Comments

• TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    ^ A bit of both :-) More inclined towards the latter I guess. It's more that people are finding them, not necessarily selling them. Wanted to say that I get jealous when someone finds one, but didn't want to offend anybody that has found Mr. Gold, or sound selfish.

I think it would have been better as maybe a pleasant surprise in random packets rather than a wild goose chase where the packs are torn off the shelves by rabid resellers trying to strike lucky IMO.

I'm not a reseller as such, sell a few minifigs here and there out of sets, but if I did find one I would sell it to someone who does collect CMF (I'm not really into it, I just get the figures I like. Mr. Gold isn't one of them, but because of rarity I do keep an eye out, or perhaps my fingers out ;-P).

But I congratulate any collector that has found a Mr. Gold in the shop and resisted selling it so they can proudly display it. IMO, why pay £500 for a minifig when you can have a huge variety of great sets for that money instead? If you find one for £2, that's brilliant, and ideal too. That's how I view it.

Yep, it's another one of those posts I do that I intended to be short and sweet, yet turns out to be a lengthy opinion. :-)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,208
    They could easily have done one per box, and I am sure there would still be people buying up boxes to get them and sell him for a profit. They would be far more common but there still wouldn't be enough to go around, and so still be worth more than normal - probably £20 or so. Some people would hoard them, or have armies of them, and other people would still complain about the uneven distribution and how unfair it all is.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    CCC said:

Hardrada said:

My favourite is the one found on Guernsey. Someone was probably feeling funny when entering hers/his.:)

Why? People play with lego in Guernsey and Jersey.

Just as they do in Guam, Saint Helena, Mozambique, Kazakstan, ... all of which have Mr Golds.
    It's just very improbable statistically that someone actually found a Mr. Gold in Guernsey. Of course it could happen but my bet is on someone having fun when registering his find.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,416

IMO, why pay £500 for a minifig when you can have a huge variety of great sets for that money instead?

Some of us prefer sets, some of us prefer minifigures.

It may seem odd that I would prefer a tiny 2 inch piece of plastic, over 4,000 pieces of 2 inch plastic... but that's just the way it is :o)
    margotkempo81
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    ^ I've got no problem with that ;-), personal choice, minifigs easier to keep I guess, but hey, slight tangent, I thought spending £13 (about $20) to replace the chewed wings on my Fantasy Era dragon with lovely mint ones was a lot of money!

And the time I spray painted a cheap pair of dragon wings black since I needed them for an MOC but didn't want to pay £15 a wing for the real thing. Don't ask.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652

I've resisted posting any comment to do with Mr. Gold for a while now, but I can't hold it any longer. Ever since it came out I've been looking for the annoying little thing to give my family a little financial breather really. I've never found one. Now I'm at the point that I actually DESPISE the whole concept of an ultra-rare chase figure clad in chrome gold whereas he looks better in pearl gold imo. My heart sinks a little every time one pops up for sale on eBay UK.

Do you despise it because it so hard to find or because other people are doing what you wanted to do and profit from it?
    Thank you @Brick_Obsession- Did I hear someone say the grapes were sour?

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,208
    ^ No. If you click on it, it changes to Mr Gold, Series 10.
  • LegoAndyLegoAndy Member Posts: 31
    Hi all,

I thought I'd post some information I have gathered, well more like some stats and figures for you all.

Since Mr Gold first started hitting shops and lucky people started getting there hands on them, I started looking on eBay UK at buying one as I didn't want to trapes round shops all over the place and start feeling the packets for hours and hours on end.

So while looking and watching figures being sold on eBay I began making a list of the figures that had been found (there number and how much they were going for). I have kept a close eye on this and tried to log and find new Mr Gold's being sold each day but may have missed one of two here and there. What my main aim was here was to find out an average cost of how much Mr Gold was worth on ebay and how much you could pick him up for.

So the info gathered.....

I managed to track 104 Mr Golds being sold on ebay. Obviously much much more have been found but these 104 have been sold.

The total cost of the figures sold here was........£42,527

Making an average price per Mr Gold.....£409

Over the last few weeks, the amount of Mr Golds on eBay in the UK has dropped dramatically and only a few a week are being uploaded where as it was a few a day when they were first released.

Bit of random info there but good to know if anyone was interested :)

Andy
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I think they jump in price, as the people that bought them don't plan on reselling quickly.

Wish I had found one.
    They will most probably go for more money over time, I think buying them early would be the best option when there were more being sold at once instead of buying when there are only a few being sold here and there as is the case at the moment.

I hope you find one BoiseState
    The most I saw one go for was £600. The cheapest was £192 - I think this was due to having no code or packaging and not knowing the number it was out of 5000.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited August 2013
    Welcome to brickset forum @LegoAndy

(if you put @ before someone's name, they get a notification that you mentioned them)

This thread probably wants blending into this previous Mr Gold Ebay thread.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/10222/mr-gold-on-ebay/p4
  • LosimagicLosimagic UKMember Posts: 397
    What's the current trend in price, up?
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Wow! This is interesting info. It could be a great test of ones values, loyalty to LEGO, personal bankroll, and/or just how completist or obsessive-compulsive a person is.

More than 400 pounds would feed a lot of starving kids or possibly, quite possibly, buy a Mr. Gold. Just a random thought off the top of my head...not trying to judge anyone. (If feeding the kids is attractive to you, you could check out websites such as safepassage.org or heifer intl.)

So the fascinating question becomes:

How many folks are willing to pay more than 600usd for a Mr. Gold? What will you do?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,428
    Meh, Neat info but Out of sight out of mind.. With the sloppy way LEGO did this give away and how we (including LEGO) all know how people act with a CMF box I was not surprised I did not find one.
    @legomatt thanks matt I thought this was the way you mentioned someone in a thread, I will add the link to the thread for people to view.

@losimagic I have stopped tracking them now but the last lot that had been sold were being sold between £320 and £400.

@legogal Sorry if I have mis-read this but is this a dig at what I have posted?

@madforLEGO Yea LEGO definitely didn't think it through properly, but they got people talking and discussing the series and the figure so works in there favour either way.

@LegoAndy I am glad that you posted your findings as to the price of Mr. Gold. It is helpful knowing what many of them are selling for because the market and supply are so widely dispersed.

I added some personal thoughts to see how folks view this figure. But not to disparage anyone's opinion because we each are entitled to our own. It seems that we have a bunch of folks who have to have one and at the other extreme, another bunch of folks who would not walk across the road to get a free one. This leaves not many folks in the middle, undecided pool. The bunches at the two extremes will not care for the attitudes of those at the other end.

Folks everywhere now seem to be much more polarized in their beliefs, and this does not leave much room for the few in the middle to find common ground for the mass. So it may be that TLG can expect the masses on either end to be displeased with the whole episode...either because they didn't get one or they don't understand why TLG would do something that could be viewed as being so divisive. Who knows?
    @legogal Ok, I wasn't trying to discourage your opinion as I only posted the information as a guideline for others who were interested in buying one from eBay or wanted to know how much they were going for. The info I gathered wasn't something I set out to gather but it shows how much people would pay for him. I personally think £400 is a lot of money for one figure and it was something LEGO have got wrong with the way it was released and classed as the "rarest figure" making most people want him paying high prices for him at that!
    @LegoAndy it is difficult trying to figure out just what TLG was trying to do when they released Mr. Gold in such an unusual manner. Maybe we'll never know. But it surely has made the CMS much more exciting for many.

Again thanks for the helpful info you collected about his selling price. Cheers!
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    @LegoAndy

I don't mean to steal your thunder, Andy, but if you just page back a bit in this thread (or look around a bit in general), you'll find bricksetters are a fairly knowledgeable (and eagle-eyed) bunch when it comes to lego prices, and have a good idea of what they'll spend on it, too.

Of course, an extra set of eyes is always welcome. But just to inform you also, they're quite adept at sniffing out sales touts, they pop up occasionally, so we're accustomed to the various tactics they employ.
    (I'm NOT saying you are one, I'm just trying to give you a friendly 'heads up' to avoid sounding like one).

Last thing; everyone is generally very friendly, so don't worry about how people post responses. Even if they disagree, there is rarely any animosity in it. Just a differing or alternate viewpoint, which is what we're all here for, after all: to hear other people's thoughts on the lego hobby.

:o)
    @legomatt i didn't see this thread before I had made my own thread/discussion on what I had posted. It was my first on this forum and first comments so only put it up as info without looking at other posts or threads. I hadn't had a chance to look through this thread either once mine had been added to this one so was unaware others had gathered info on it so don't worry your not stealing my thunder as I wasn't after any award.

Sorry if I'm being thick here but sniffing out a sales tout? Not sure as to what one of these is? Though I'm definitely not one if this is the case.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 947
    edited August 2013
    What's the consensus about this listing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-MR-GOLD-CUSTOM-CHROME-MINIFIGURE-MATCHING-GOLD-CHROME-ACCESSORIES-/271258664290?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item3f2846bd62

£65 each, 6 available.

Edit: he's sold several already and pretty clear from his older descriptions especially that this is a home-made version of the real thing,
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^What exactly are you asking? Your question is too general. Do you want to know what we think of the listing, the quality, the price?
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 947
    Whether or not he was selling genuine Mr Golds. But I answered my own question shortly after posting.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    it seems he sold one for a tenner, at that price i might have been interested.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    It looks just like the real thing.