Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How long before a Lego exclusive is sold through other stores?

VadimDVadimD Member Posts: 4
edited June 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
Anyone know how long it takes on average before a lego exclusive set, isn't exclusive anymore to TLG shop? The reason I ask is because I want to complete my modular street with the Pet Shop. I could always buyt it from Lego, but I happen to work for a large retailer here in Belgium and I get a great employee discount when buying stuff through our own webshop, which has lego (woohoo!). I picked up Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade for 25% off. So i'd like to know when I can expect the pet shop to be available through other retailers (such as my company). (I've already asked our inhouse toys buyer, but he couldn't give me an answer...yet)
Post edited by @Matthew -23/06/11 22.59 BST - Reason for Edit: Please remember to post topics in the correct category. Moved to 'Buying and Selling'

Comments

• pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    Well I dont think the modulars are exclusives, but the true exclusives usually are not available anywhere else? I used a question mark because I am not positive on that one but I think thats the case.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    "Exclusive" means just that. If something is a Lego exclusive, don't expect it to show up anywhere else. If something is a "Toys R Us exclusive" it might show up at Shop-At-Home.
  • VadimDVadimD Member Posts: 4
    Am I mistaken then? I thought the modulars where at their launch only available through the Lego shop and after a whil became available through other stores and retailers. If that would not be the case with the "pet shop", I might as well buy it now then?
    There's no big chance on missing out on it yet? It's just been released.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    IIRC, sets like the modulars, Imperial Flagship, Tower Bridge, Diagon Alley, Imperial Shuttle, etc. are exclusive to Lego.com and Lego stores for about 3-6 months. See this post which indicates some of the exclusives becoming first available on TRU website at the beginning of December.
    http://toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1856
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    @VadimD: you're not mistaken. Those sets were sold exclusively through LEGO [email protected] and LEGO stores initially and labeled as "exclusive" during that time. Eventually they made their way to some of the big retailers but because they're predominately available online and not in stores, LEGO shifts the label to "hard to find". Currently only the Pet Shop, MBA kits, and Maersk Train have the "exclusive" label on the LEGO website, and while that's true for the former two, the Maersk Train was available from Amazon for a short while at release.

To address your original question, I've also seen varying lengths of time of exclusivity for these sets. I would say that if it doesn't show up elsewhere beyond the 6 months that you mention, you should just plan to get it directly from LEGO.
  • veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    Tower bridge was available at Argos here in the uk for a time but its now not available there.