The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Building a city

GauthierHenriGauthierHenri Member Posts: 1
Hello. I'm new to this forum. When I was a kid, I had building sets like Kenner (with girders and panels) and Blockcity. They were thrown out long ago. Now, I've got a large collection of Matchbox, Majorette and Siku cars and trucks. I would like to build an urban landscape to photograph them in. Lego doesn't seem suitable for this purpose. Do any of the other members know of a building set that would be more like the old ones I used to have? Kenner ans Blockcity were probably of approximately the right scale. I've thought of collecting empty plastic packaging - the plastic holders for system razor blades for instance - and using them like building blocks. I have assembled an almost convincing glass-fronted building from the Wilkinson/Schick packaging. Does anyone have any other ideas? Good to meet you all.

Comments

• emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    edited April 2013
    Welcome. So you have joined a LEGO-exclusive forum populated by members who are LEGO fans to discuss LEGO-related topics, and are posting a topic that specifically excludes LEGO from the discussion... Maybe a Matchbox forum would be a better fit?
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    Yeah, this is pretty much completely off-topic.

But some quick searching suggests that Matchbox cars are apparently ~1:64 scale, which is apparently equivalent to S scale in model trains. Have you looked at S scale scenery? Granted, you wouldn't be able to "build" it, but it sounds like you're looking for realism that LEGO can't offer.
  • GauthierHenriGauthierHenri Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Hello binaryeye. Nice to meet you first of all. I just sort of surfed in, and the name of this site, "Brickset", reminded me of the building set, "Blockcity", which I had when I was a kid, more than 50 years ago. Matchbox cars are to various scales, they aren't uniform, and scale isn't really an issue for me. 1:64 is a good approximation. The scale should only be approximate. If I do table-top photography with my models, presumeably only the cars will be sharp, the background will be blurred. Perhaps I could buy up some Lego bricks second hand, and use other stuff to complete a somewhat futuristic city.