The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Re-booted old themes

StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
edited April 2013 in Collecting
Has anyone got any old themes they'd like to see re-introduced? Here are a few of mine, just to get the ball rolling.

Forestmen: the inspired kinds of designs of the original 1980s range combined with plenty of brown rather than black pieces for the trees and wooden buildings.

Wild West: if that Lone Ranger theme turns out to be a one-year-wonder I'd like to see Lego attempt another western range of their own. I always thought the original Lego Wild West theme could have been expanded with sets such as a saloon, livery, telegraph office, town hall and some houses including a hideout for the villains.

Classic Space: the good old days of space combined with the new kinds of pieces Lego now has at its disposal.

Blacktron: more of those sinister-looking sets with the original colour scheme and astronaut design.

Pirates: I know this was attempted recently but it was kind of weak and limited. We need a return to the massive pirate ships, amazing imperial forts and bizarre rock formations of the original 1989-1997 run.

Comments

• SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 526
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    I have a soft spot for the Classic Space theme. Growing up the Apollo program just ended with the last Skylab and a few years later when I was 5 the Shuttle made it's first flight. This is when the space theme was the best IMO as there were no enemies, just the ones your imagination created. To me Blacktron was not the bad guys but kinda a secret service force. The space police with the red and blue were the last of the classic space as far as I am concerned. Those sets I would love to see re-booted. The Classic castle sets were also big on my list of favorites (still are) and I liked how the forestmen seemed to fit right in to the King/Knight's castle theme from just a couple of years before. The Yellow Castle does not really fit in with these as the colors are odd for a castle but mine stayed built for over 15 years, simply because it was a cool castle. My King's Castle is still built as well.

So my vote is:
    Classic Space up to the original Blacktron and Space Police.
    Classic Castle and supporting sets like Forestmen.
    Oldfan
  • TheBigGuyTheBigGuy New ZealandMember Posts: 69
    The Forestmen theme has always intrigued me so I'd like to see that theme rebooted.
  • PiedraPiedra Member Posts: 1
    Old trains, like santa fe and santa fe cars, or sets 10013,10014, 10015,10016,10017, where buy wagons than i need.
    Old Pirates, Castle and Western it would be awesome.
    Classic space it's so vintage for me.
  • glendoglendo Member Posts: 22
    +1 for classic space 1979>futuron
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,239
    I would love all those you listed actually, Forestmen and Blacktron most of all. We have already seen that the colours can be updated and effectively incorporated into a more modern theme (Classic Space -> Alien Conquest) so I see no reason why Lego could not reinvigorate some more classic themes.
    plasmodium
  • Lego2012Lego2012 Member Posts: 60
    Definitely pirates, fingers crossed with PoC gone it might happen sometime soon
    yys4u
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    glendo said:

+1 for classic space 1979>futuron

I do like the Futuron color scheme and it gave us the first monorail. Yet, it was a precursor to Space Police which was sort of the down fall for Classic Space.

The most logical theme for Lego to bring back would be Pirates. But I don't collect pirates so it wouldn't much appeal to me. So my vote would be for classic space or forestmen. Forestmen would especially be appealing to young boys because who doesn't love a cool hideout or treehouse in the woods.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited April 2013
    I also think the classic space theme and/or Blacktron would be cool. Currently, if you want something space-related, your options are pretty much the space/bug them (sort of lame imo), or Star Wars. I know most people seem to like SW, but for whatever reason, I just never was into it. Therefore, a non-bug and non-SW space theme would be great for people like me.

Another vote for classic pirates from me also, in particular a giant ship and a huge fortress with a base plate, maybe something like #6276 Eldorado Fortress. Although, I wouldn't mind the theme being a little darker than previously, sort of like the POTC theme.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 471
    I say...

Pirates, pre-1996 -- The Imperial Armada idea was nice, but the execution was piece-meal, and it seemed the Pirates were finally sunk.

Space themes - Blacktron and Spyrius could be ideally be fused, but a pure re-imagining would be cool, too. M-Tron would be nice, provided Lego gets their magnet act together.

Castle themes - Wolfpack! Since everyone else would love the Forestmen to return, I decided to be different and bring up the Fourth Faction of Castle, which sadly only saw two full-sized sets released. Today, the range could be expanded greatly, provided a worthy adversary were provided (Noble, Robin Hood-esque Forestmen raiders versus the immoral, Wolfpack bandits?).
    Kanohi
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^ Yes! Wolfpack would be great, or the fusion of them and Forestmen - Dark Forest. I think Forestmen would be best left alone as they are remembered - classic.

I'm for Blacktron and classic Pirates as well.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited April 2013
    How would you want your old sets redone, based on the old theme but modernised to use today's elements and techniques as well as designs?

What I would love the TLG to do, is a "Classics" series. Say once a year they bring out a set ($100+ price point) that is from an old theme, using only elements that were avaliable at the time. I would want the set to be a brand new design though, not a remake. They could also have a cool retro box similar to the old theme boxes, maybe with a "Classics" logo or some thing.

I think it would be really popular if they did it this way, with what they could do with the marketing etc.

T_Lars
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    ^That is a very cool idea, especially if they could do the boxes right with the flip up front so you could see the contents inside. Marketing wise, I think that something like this would be perfect as an available for VIP members only, like the mini modulars.
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    I'd love to see some of the more recent NASA themed/supported space sets (or within the City theme). It would be great to see some classic NASA ships and vehicles recreated in LEGO aside from the shuttle.
    I would love to see the Yellow castle return just not in yellow. I want to see it in grey and maybe add a couple of the new textured bricks here and there to add a little bit of variety. Dark Grey, or Dark Red would be good colors to use. Also the walkways around the walls and the floors of the towers should be brown as they would be wood. 12 minifigs just like the classic one had, modern horses instead of the brick built ones.

Another thing that could be done is to release older sets in different color schemes but the same build. The Classic Space in Earth Blue or Black. I dont think changing the colors of the Forestmen sets would work all that well as most trees are brown with green leaves. Just a thought

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,483

I would love to see the Yellow castle return just not in yellow. I want to see it in grey and maybe add a couple of the new textured bricks here and there to add a little bit of variety. Dark Grey, or Dark Red would be good colors to use. Also the walkways around the walls and the floors of the towers should be brown as they would be wood. 12 minifigs just like the classic one had, modern horses instead of the brick built ones.

Another thing that could be done is to release older sets in different color schemes but the same build. The Classic Space in Earth Blue or Black. I dont think changing the colors of the Forestmen sets would work all that well as most trees are brown with green leaves. Just a thought

Part of the issue with re-releasing older sets was discovered with the LEGO Legends line. If substantial changes are made, then a lot of adult collectors will dislike the model because it's inauthentic. If no significant changes are made, then a lot of younger buyers will be alienated because it was designed with a totally different generation of fans in mind and will be archaic in its building techniques compared to the other sets offered in the catalog. Plus, even AFOLs may be disappointed with a re-released set even if it's 100% authentic just because no amount of nostalgia will help the set measure up to an AFOL's memories of the set.

I do think it's possible to create a new model that pays tribute to a classic model in a number of ways or depicts a similar subject. The recent LEGO Star Wars sets, after all, have absolutely stunned me with their ability to re-imagine ships from the early years of the theme at (usually) a similar scale, but with far greater detail and accuracy. Similarly, some classic Castle sets could be re-imagined in this way. Space sets, not so much, since the way people perceive the future has changed so much over the years and a sleek, arrowhead-shaped ship that looked stunning and futuristic in the 80s might seem bland and unrealistic today.
    I agree with the changing too much and it is no longer the same set. I have rebuilt several of my classic space sets from back in the 1980's and when I did I let my son play with them. He really likes the old sets just as much as his new sets. To him the sets are new and not 30 years old. He loves my Cosmic Cruiser and the Intergalactic Command, I cant blame him as they were 2 of my favorite sets as well. He also likes my 1984 King's Castle so much that I had to find him one on E-bay just so I could get mine back for display. I think these old sets have just as much appeal today as they did back in the 80's

• davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 799

He really likes the old sets just as much as his new sets. [...] I think these old sets have just as much appeal today as they did back in the 80's

I think they appeal to a slightly different group of kids. The sets from the early 1980's were pretty generic. They didn't have a "good guy/bad guy" flavor to them, and they didn't have any other "character" to them. Modern themes tend to really focus on telling a particular story.

My guess is that the generic sets sell slightly more to the kids that are into building with construction toys, and less to the kids that want to play with action figures. And storytelling sets would sell more in the other direction. It just so happens that there's (I'm guessing) a bigger market for kids that are into buying things that fit with a storyline.

However, I do think some stuff looks dated, not just "generic". The original yellow castle, the Galaxy Explorer-- they just look a little drab to me. Even the Classic Space minifigs I grew up with I have to admit look kinda silly by today's standards.

But nevertheless, I think a lot of them really do still have modern appeal. The Galaxy Commander, Black Falcon's Fortress, etc. They may be old, but I think they could probably still do pretty well, even today (just maybe not quite as well as the story-based themes).

DaveE
    Today's sets are all well and good but when I was a kid you are right the sets were generic and there was no adversaries. WE kids invented our adversaries, we used our imagination to create a story of our own. Some times they were my companions just shrunk by a crazy mad scientist (you should have seen my surprise when "Honey I shrunk the kids" came out!) Some times they would crash on a backwards planet and there would be my castles and space ships all at the same time. Many different scenarios played out with me and my Legos. My son does this with the more generic characters in his sets but not in the themed sets. PoTC, Ninjago, and Chima he tries to follow what has already happened in the TV and movies but in his ciry sets and others that are not themed he makes his own world just like I did. I dont think this is a unique experience either.
  • StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
    Dread Pirate, you're absolutely right. Kids these days have everything explained for them and this just stunts their imagination. And imagination is very important because without it you just become one of the sheep rather than an individual able to make your own decisions in later life. I remember coming up with my own storylines and enemies for my Lego Space people. I also even gave some of the spacemen in each set characters (compare that with more recent sets like Alpha Team where the minifigs are all more or less decided for you).

Dread Pirate, you're absolutely right. Kids these days have everything explained for them and this just stunts their imagination. And imagination is very important because without it you just become one of the sheep rather than an individual able to make your own decisions in later life. I remember coming up with my own storylines and enemies for my Lego Space people. I also even gave some of the spacemen in each set characters (compare that with more recent sets like Alpha Team where the minifigs are all more or less decided for you).

I disagree that this kind of thing stunts kids' imaginations. Having stories told to them is a valid way for kids to acquire skill at storytelling. Story-driven toys are nothing new, after all. For decades, perhaps even centuries, there have been toys inspired by bible stories like Noah's Ark or by assorted historical tales. And that doesn't even take into account the number of already-written stories kids have enjoyed and acted out with their toys even without a specific brand tie-in (part of the reason LEGO Star Wars was created is because Star Wars was already popular subject matter for LEGO MOCs, among both kids and adults). If kids were becoming less creative as a result of these kinds of toys, surely we'd have seen the effects long ago?

All throughout my lifetime I have loved the LEGO themes that took place in invented worlds with invented storylines (Aquazone being one of my earliest favorites) and gleefully absorbed what I read about them in the LEGO Magazines. But that didn't stop me from making up dozens of stories of my own during play, such as the time the Aquasharks turned into mermaids, the time the Throwbots welcomed a bunch of new team members (various MOCs of mine), etc. Even with the first licensed theme, LEGO Star Wars, I came up with wild new storylines based around MOCs I made for hypothetical future episodes. My twin brother and I even came up with BIONICLE stories of our own well into our teenage years, and while most of these were designed to be more or less compatible with the official story, they were not simple retellings of events that happened officially. We came up with our own Toa and masks and monsters and even some of our own species. My username on some sites, "Aanchir: Rachira of Time", comes from one of these stories.

This isn't to say I didn't use my sets and figures to reenact official LEGO stories I read, or that the stories I made up myself were things I'd consider any good in this day and age. But the point is that story-driven themes didn't kill my imagination. If anything, the only reason I don't make up many stories of my own anymore is because I've grown up and realized that I don't have any particular skill at it. Nevertheless, there's a flourishing Ninjago fan art and fan fiction scene among online fans, particularly female ones, and some of these Ninjago fanfics scarcely even overlap with the official story. So overall I think that the creative potential of kids is as healthy as ever regardless of whether their toys are connected to stories that have been told to them, and in fact I'd argue that kids' storytelling potential benefits from having stories told to them in any form, be it a toy line, a book, a play, or a movie.
  • ch_ris127ch_ris127 Member Posts: 7
    Aanchir said:

I disagree that this kind of thing stunts kids' imaginations. Having stories told to them is a valid way for kids to acquire skill at storytelling.[...]So overall I think that the creative potential of kids is as healthy as ever regardless of whether their toys are connected to stories that have been told to them, and in fact I'd argue that kids' storytelling potential benefits from having stories told to them in any form, be it a toy line, a book, a play, or a movie.

I definitely agree with you. I've always loved how themed sets provide a kind of 'template' for kids to play on and use for their own stories. Most of the kids I see (including myself back then) don't even care for the official stories, except on TV and comics, straying from them and making up their own. I find it uncommon for kids to only use one theme for playing, often mixing other themes and making their own sets for play.

Who's to say that the Castle sets don't have 'set' stories for us? Bad knights versus good knights? Themed sets such as NinjaGo and Chima just have more elaborate and detailed plots, but it definitely won't limit children's imagination. They're way too creative and hyper to stick to one story. My 7 year old cousin just sent me pictures of his Atlantis team at war with Star Wars stormtroopers, and the other day, he use the Friends horse carrier as an ambulance for a wounded stormtrooper, and a lightsaber for a surgical laser.

As for re-booting themes...aside from the Forestmen, I vote for LEGO Adventurers!!! They're my childhood heroes...:D
  • 09090900909090 Member Posts: 47
    I'm pretty sure that everyone at least once thought about that some of the past LEGO themes should come back. I personally loved pretty much everything from mid 90s to early 00s themes back then were simple, fun and original though I don't have much sets from this time anymore. I loved simple themes like Pirates, Arctic subthemes, Sports etc. etc. they were so much fun :) I would love to see them back someday, I can't seem to get into themes like CHIMA. Only theme which I'm looking forward to nowadays is The Lone Ranger. So what are your missed themes, which you would like to bring back?
    P.S: I apologize if I posted in wrong place, I'm new here
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    My daughter really liked the power miners with the monsters....
    It's very funny how many people are nostalgic for mid-90s to early 2000s themes, considering that that is generally considered a low point in LEGO design by a lot of AFOLs. You definitely hit the nail on the head with the word "original", though. The LEGO Group was trying out a whole lot of new ideas back then, and while that came with some missteps, it also meant we got things that still stand out today like the steampunk-ish color schemes and somewhat grim story of LEGO Rock Raiders, groundbreaking themes like Throwbots (which introduced the "constraction" category) or BIONICLE (which took that to the next level), and the downright zany function-driven sets like Time Cruisers and Time Twisters.

So overall while the building quality of the sets was in many ways at a low point, TLG's more experimental attitude helped pave the way for a lot of trends we see today like character-driven themes (Alpha Team, Adventurers, etc. all the way to Knights' Kingdom II, Exo-Force, and Ninjago), competitive gameplay elements (Technic Competition, Racers, Throwbots, and BIONICLE led to things like the Ninjago spinners of Legends of Chima Speedorz), and various adventure theme archetypes (Power Miners owed a lot to Rock Raiders, just as Agents took cues from Alpha Team and Ninjago took some cues from the classic Ninja sets).
  • 09090900909090 Member Posts: 47
    Joseph said:
    Sorry, I haven't noticed that.
    I guess it's mostly nostalgia what makes themes from mid 90s appealing to me. But despite nostalgia I think some of the 90s themes weren't as bad as some people think, in overall I liked 90s selection of themes much more than today's one.
  • WeregildWeregild Member Posts: 1
    I'd say pirates is the obvious one. The 2009 relaunch was kind of half-baked. Some good sets, but only one wave? And I can't help but think some of the sets (shipwreck pirate base comes to mind) that would've been better if Lego weren't so adverse to using baseplates now. Pirates was a pretty baseplate-heavy theme back in its heyday.
    yys4u
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    edited April 2013
    I know this may be reaching out on a limb, but what about releasing old castles in a modular theme.

For example, releasing parts/walls of a castle (think LOTR 9471, as well as Classic Castle 6040, 6041, and6061) that create a full scale castle. TLG could charge a premium by including a number of mini-figs, weapons, shields, animals, etc.

There is little in the way of new costs in terms of molds, so their overall cost is nil. But for us AFOLs as well as the younger generation, they are marketing instant gratification in terms of playability; TLG is able to hammer a homer in terms of unique minifigs (bread and butter for them now); and these could be fairly small sets (85-300 pcs).

Could you imagine being able able to purchase a Castle Wall defended by 2 crusaders against 2 Black Falcons for a cost of $25? Or Crusader Archers in towers defending a Crusader portcullis from the onslaught of the Forestmen? Maybe a Wolfpack toll bridge collecting from Black Falcons? A Black Knight's Keep being bombarded by Green Dragons?

The settings and factions are countless in terms of possibilities. I can only dream...
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,572
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 349
    It has to be #375 It was my first proper set and I was gutted that as a kid with an younger brother, I gave it to him when I was a teenager more interested in girls! I have indoctrinated my kids to make sure they don't give any of theirs away in their future years!

Nostalgic it might be, but that set gave me many hours of enjoyment and I remember building so many different sets from it, different towers, walls, etc.

The other sets I liked were the space sets from the 80s. Again, it is a nostalgic view, but there were so many different building options with these sets and it was an age where space discovery was still financially viable and therefore fired your imagination!
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    So many say forestmen! I say forestmen! So why haven't there been any forestmen in any of the newer castle sets? I also say western and pirates.