Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

War44lock: Saying hi from New Zealand : )

war44lockwar44lock Member Posts: 75
edited June 2011 in Introduce yourself
Hello, My name is Dave, I'm 32 years old and have two wonderful children and thankfully my son found Lego and I was reintroduced after many years away from the stuff. I have been an AFOL only about one and a half years now. I've quickly amassed a huge pile of it now and wonder what I used to do before. I dug out my old sets from my folks place and added a whole heap of new Castle, Pirates and SW's Lego and I'm hunting more. Here in New Zealand Lego is quite expensive so I have to be careful and patient but I sell Lego online to help fund my own hobby and thats alot of fun too. Lots of collectors here and the price means alot of us sell and trade among ourselves to keep the cost down.

Comments

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Welcome :)
    Where in NZ are u?
  • war44lockwar44lock Member Posts: 75
    Thanks, I'm in Hastings but originally I'm from Wellington. Been in Hastings almost three years.
  • DunedinNZDunedinNZ Member Posts: 41
    Agreed with lego prices being a bit hideous but Farmers, Warehouse, Toyworld usually have 20-25% off sales on a semi-regular basis as well.

More concerning is the usual delay between something being released overseas and coming here. Spotted Pharoah Quest at Warehouse last week, and its been out for atleast 3 months :S
    Have a lot of rellies in NZ (russell) so seem to end up there relatively often if youll scuse the bad pun. Are there any sets you get over there which we dont get over here?
    Yeah I try to keep tabs on the sales, I'm waiting for a sale on POTC and I'm really looking forward to the new Kingdom sets release. I'm guessing we won't see that for a long while yet though.
    Have you got a K-mart in Dunedin? My local one has alot of clearance prices on SW at the moment, best prices I've seen anywhere. I was wondering if thats just Hastings or nationwide.
    More the other way around I'm afraid. You get alot more sets than we get here, even the promo poly bags and things like that don't make it here officially. I just saw a POTC Jack in his boat polybag you guys got for free sell for over $30 on Trade Me here last week. You get sets much earlier than us too.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^ Great to have some fellow Kiwi's here! Where do you sell? Do u have a bricklink store or just sell on Trademe?
    Hi. Yes I just use Trade Me for now. I have looked at Bricklink but i don't know about the whole international side of things, it feels safer using Trade Me. I don't sell alot I have around 30 - 40 listings at any one time its just the other side of my Lego hobby really, it does keep the costs down alot for me though.
    sweet, I can pay the airfare back using polybags next time :)

Trademe seems to be a ripoff a lot of the time though, isnt it - Or is it just about how you do it? Certainly whenever I've looked/ bought on there a lot of stuff has been close to or above the prices in the shops in Auckland.
    ^Yes your right you have to know what things are worth and sometimes you can find a bargin, an Unwanted gift or something like that. Haha yes bring polybags! I just got my Jack Sparrow voodoo doll today. $20.00. Trade Me is best for older sets really. An example: I bought a bulk SW collection for $600.00 then sold the MTT, X-Wing, Rouge Shadow, Anakins Fighter and Grievous Fighter seperatley for $600.00 and kept a B-Wing, Sentinel Dropship, Y-Wing, second X-Wing and Fighter with booster ring and two battle packs for free! So there are some major bargains at times, hence the need for patience.
    ^ Yes, u definitely need to know how much something is worth on Trademe, I don't buy a lot on there, but do keep a look out for a bargain, or at least, not a ridiculous price for something I want.
    Hey was just in Farmers Napier today, they have 20 percent off POTC and some of the new city sets.
    Do they have the big ticket POTC, the ship and the whitebay light house on discount?

They didn't have the ship in stock so not too sure about that but they had all other sets in the range, Whitecap Bay and The Mill and London Escape all reduced.
    Yeah I saw that too, don't think I've ever seen a Queen Anne's Revenge at a Farmers, only at some Warehouse stores. The 20% off makes the prices somewhat bearable.
    I have only seen it at the Wharehouse too. $250.00!!! I want it but theres just no way haha and Toyworld will be dearer still.
    Yeah, QAR is definitely growing on me, especially now I have Imperial Flagship on layby! I'll wait for another sale and hope they still have one!
    I wanted Flagship but its even more expensive and I havn't been able to part with that much cash just yet. I bought some parts and made my Brickbeards Bounty 8 studs longer in the middle and put a deck above the guns and higher sides for the hull. I think it looks good and is still proportioned well. Now I'm adding POTC figures to the crew haha
    Sweet! I've got my eye on that set, its a really decent looking ship, except for the juniorised sails and swivel cannon at the back of the ship (just looks plain wrong). I justified the Imperial Flagship as a Christmas present to myself! Now I just have to justify everything else I want! I grabbed the last one from Toyplanet when I saw they were down to 1 set left. They had the best price I could find, $282.99. I saw a few on Trademe for over $300, so thought I'd bite the bullet and get it while I can in case it goes the same way as the Modular Buildings (which it probably will, its such a spectacular looking ship).
    I agree the swivel cannon was the first thing I changed, well got rid of. I looked at flagship for a long time as it really is very pretty and detailed and it looks amazing, its been $279.00 at my local Toy World on special for at least 3 months now. I saw it go on Trade Me for $220.00 a few months back, opened box but never assembled. All Lego was still in the sealed bags and that almost had me but I'd spent alot that month already. Its due to be discontinued next year I believe and then the value will no doubt increase. I think its the best looking ship Lego have produced. I still hope to get it at some stage.
    I got back into Lego just after they discontinued the most recent Pirates theme [not POTC]

Fortunately someone was selling the complete set [excluding the hideout which was never sold in nz] for around $600. Unopened, mint in sealed box.

Given Brickbeard's bounty is roughly $150, Imperial Flagship ~300 then getting the rest, at once, after its discontinued made sense.

To a large degree I actually prefer the Brickbeard Bounty, putting together the base of the ship is absolute sod to do it seems.
    I did see the Imperial Flagship at Toyworld Queenstown for $320, but I also had a 20% off voucher [$256] , so was tempted to grab it and stick it on trademe but decided against it.

Unfortunately now I'm sorta stuck to decide if I want to continue the ships theme and grab the POTC stuff or not. Not a huge fan of the movies and some of it looks dire, for the price.

As a total side note, if anyone spots Heroica in NZ please let me know, definately hanging out for that.
    I have always loved the Pirates theme, old and new. I must admit I havn't seen any of the POTC films, I just want some of the new parts, like Blackbeards sword, the scarabs, globe and things like that and also some of the figures just to have some different looking pirates to add a bit more detail. So I won't be collecting all of the sets and I'll be selling off the parts I don't want.

What I really want now is some kind of merchant/trading vessel for my pirates to raid, that would be cool.
    ^ Yeah same. I started making a merchant ship but havn't completed it. I was kind of making a larger version of the ship in Imperial Trading Post (If anyone has that set to sell, I'd be very interested!). A few civilian sets like the way Kingdoms is going would be great when (or if) the Pirate theme returns after PotC ends.

Most of the PotC sets are a bit expensive for what they are, but I like the ships. I got Captains Cabin to get a Jack Sparrow minifig, and London Escape looks pretty cool, it would be good if they release a few more sets with Redcoats.

I agree trading post is an awesome set, would go for alot I'd imagine but I've never seen one come up on Trade Me.

I really think one of the best sets to get from POTC is Captains Cabin, its almost like a battle pack but then you get that beautiful globe and the bottles and map! I think its the one from that whole theme that really is good value. I like the look of the new red coats alot yes great detail but at the moment it looks like it would be expensive to get a good size squad of them. I like the coach from that set too its very nice looking.

I won't be getting most of the sets at this stage due to price and the fact I'm not a fan, but the figures are really well detailed, even the back of the head on the Hadras is printed with the same pattern as the body and most of the named figs legs are printed with alot of detail, not to mention the cool new hats and scarabs.
    Yes, there are quite a few great new parts in these sets. I only got Captains Cabin because it was 10 or 20% off at the time, I didn't want it that bad to spend $20 on it. The coach driver in London Escape is very cool.

Trading Post goes for around $200NZ for the cheapest listing on Bricklink. Then you've got shipping on top of that, with that raised baseplate it won't be cheap. I thought about piecing it together and using my Eldorado Fortress baseplate, but the sails and minifigs are ridiculously expensive, especially the pirate with the vest.
    Have you used Bricklink? How have you found it? I have had a look but never been sure about buying off it, same with E-Bay. Just the whole international thing makes me nervous. All the older sets I want are there and you could wait forever to see them come up on Trade Me and then they get bidded up to huge prices because everyone else wants them.

On a side note, I would love Eldorado. I remember looking in the catalogs at it as a kid, that and Black Knights Castle were probably the sets I wanted most and that feeling still hasn't gone away haha it was the first set I looked up on Bricklink when I first found that site. So much better than the latest soldiers fort, I have six of the latest forts combined into one big MOC and it still doesn't satisfy me as a fort. I'd like to combine Eldorado and Trading post with maybe the Soldiers Tavern and Sabre island. All I have is the Tavern and that cost me $45.00.

Did you check Trade Me lately? There is a Spanish Armada Flagship for $69.00 complete but with only one fig, I thought it might make a decent trading ship with a few small mods.
    Yeah I use Bricklink too often, its an addiction! I pieced together the UCS Falcon from bricklink, (except for stickers and minifigs, too expensive) mostly from international sellers, and the only problems I had were a couple of missing pieces from large orders, and one order with white instead of bluish grey plates, but the sellers were awesome and refunded me for the parts. In fact I probably had more orders with extra parts mistakenly added than not. Shipping can be a huge cost, so ask for a quote first, or buy from a NZ seller ('Gelo' is good). Also check the sellers feedback before you order. I've never used EBay, a bit weary about scammers.

They just don't make sets like Eldorado anymore! That was a great christmas when I got that, I was about 9 or 10. Modern sets seem half-complete, except the big castles. The smaller ones seem only half-built. I never had a ship though, except the Sea Serpent, so building the Flagship will be something new when I get it. I never really liked that Spanish ship, but you're right, could be great for a trading ship.

That Tavern is pretty nice, about the same price on Bricklink, so you did ok! I used to want Sabre Island as a kid, but I look at it now and there's not much to it, but awesome to add to a collection. I only really had a few smaller pirate sets, Eldorado was my only big one. There's actually one on Trademe now, check it out.
    Hey thanks for the tip I didn't even consider some of the sellers might be in NZ. I will definitely check that out. I can't believe you got all the parts for the falcon that way haha thats brilliant, I was looking at it two weeks ago someone had it for a dollar reserve but it got pretty high of course. Im working on a large castle right now but don't even nearly have the number of parts I need, I'm just using my Black Monarchs Castle, King Leos Castle and the latest Kings Castle all combined with some of the smaller Kingdoms towers but I'm well short of what I need for my plan. Was going to ask Danny36 on Trade Me (my usual) but I may just have to try Bricklink out.

Its a real shame what they did to Pirates in 2010 that so called fort was rather poor, I only got six because I worked out a way to get them for free, I have them built up into a large MOC with the Tavern on the front, 8 cannon and around 35 soldiers and I'd still rather have an Eldarado! I hadn't seen that one on Trade Me cheers for that, it looks a little worse for wear but not to bad and I will keep an eye on it, If I can get it cheap enough I can probably fix it up. Sabre is just a nostalgia thing for me, always wanted it. I never had a ship either, the biggest set I got given was Forbidden Island though I did love it, first time I'd seen stairs or a rope bridge, brown Lego was ultra rare then.
    Haha just looking at Gelo on Bricklink and it says its maintained by danny36! typical little ole New Zealand : )
    Ha ha! Yeah, I traded with Danny36 a few times on Trademe before finding her on Bricklink! Pretty much exactly what you are doing - I bought a whole heap of castle parts to make castle mocs, plus a few knights. She's got the largest NZ store, mostly new bricks, but there are a few others with an ok range. Bricklink is great when you learn how to use all the features, like wishlists and parting out sets into wishlists, then displaying stores that have the most items on your wishlists. (It took me a long time before I realised that!)

Your moc sounds very impressive, especially with 35 soldiers! One of my weaknesses is the desire to build armies, so after building castle and starwars armies (well, a few handfuls of minifigs, not armies) I'm moving back into pirates. I just received a Redbeard minifig today from a bricklink order (also a few small soldier sets). I swapped him for a few soldiers when I was a kid, so I've finally replaced him after all these years and completed the Eldorado Fortress set again! I have the urge to build up an Imperial II army now, thankfully they're slightly cheaper than the old Imperials on Bricklink.

Forbidden Island always intrigued me, used to love looking at it in the old catalogues - all those cool parts, the rope bridge I still don't have. The only brown bricks I used to have were from the middle of horses when they weren't wearing a saddle, which is probably why I love hoarding those rarer colours now!

Yeah I'm a little behind in the times haha Bricklink confuses me a bit, just have to get used to the layout and the look of it. Trade Me and Brickset are such pretty, and simple to use sites and Bricklink is very different. I had a good browse through Danny36's whole shop and its very cool, not one of the wall and corner plates I wanted for my castle but plenty of other parts I can use, I'm now looking at what I can get to improve the fort I have. I like the detail and its busy looking with all the guns and soldiers but structurally I'm just not happy with it. Major redesign and buy up time!

Armies got a little silly for me I got carried away with the Snowtrooper battle pack, I was like "well these guys don't travel around in pairs you know" I built up around 20 snowtroopers and was after alot more but then looked at it like, that was money I could get more sets with so I did sell about half of them and I try to be a bit more realistic about it haha its easy to get carried away. I actually have around 100 castle soldiers though, but my castle MOC was quite large. I'm reworking it at the moment.

I think Forbidden Island was quite a simple set but it worked well, I had hours of fun with it and the parts were great, Rock Island Refuge is still on my wish list just to combine the two. Haha Don't ask me how but I have four captain Redbeards
    Yeah, Bricklink is a bit dated and not that pretty but it works well, I prefer it to Trademe, especially as u can pretty much get anything on it.

I started getting a few of those snowtrooper battlepacks too, only got around 5 though, plus a few of the older Imperial Dropship and Rebel Scout Speeder ones off trademe, as I wasn't into starwars when they were released, unfortunatley. I'm a sucker for stormtroopers, and the rebels are cool too! I'm not into any of the newer episodes, otherwise I'd be broke collecting droid armies and all the new characters.

I forgot to mention there's an Imperial Flagship on trademe, closes on saturday, reserve not met yet but bids are up to $110 at the moment. Might go for cheaper than the others as long as the reserve isn't ridiculous.
    Oh yeah I know stormies are the best! I didn't get the dropship battle pack and its always expensive on Trade Me but thats a cool little set. I missed it because I wasn't collecting at the time it came out so I made up for it with the Snowtroopers. Only got my first Stormtroopers recently with the Sentinel Dropship. I agree the new episodes sets mean nothing to me I havn't seen any of the new animated stuff so I don't buy much SWs Lego these days.

I'll check out that Flagship I have a few things in my watchlist at the moment and hadn't seen that. Bet he wants at least $250 for it though.
    Its up to $170 at the moment and the reserve is met, depends how keen the other bidders are on it. Good luck! Search for Large Lego Pirate Ship, its not listed under Imperial Flagship. It is 2nd hand
    I can't find it must have missed it. I'm working nights at the moment so slept half the day. What did it go for?
    Man, it went for $196. Seems reasonable being 2nd hand, and other new ones on for over $300.

I forgot to ask, how did you manage to get 6 Soldiers Forts for free? I've got my eye on a few Brickbeards Bounty's on Trademe, fingers crossed no one else wants them!
    edited July 2011
    Wow thats a good price if its complete. Yeah I noticed an increase in the number and the price of them on Trade Me lately.

Haha it was easier than you may think. My local Toy World had more than a dozen of the forts and must have had a hard time shifting them. They put them down to $49.99 each for about three months and I bought two, sold one for $80.00 then thought I'd do some set splitting. Being a modular layout it was easy to sell a prison for $10, a tower and crane for $20 and the other corner section for $15. Some accessories (that set has alot) for $8 - $10 and Brickbeard himself for $8 - $10 and the Governor for $8 sell the row boat for $5 the croc for $5 and the regular pirate for $4. When I kept the main tower for myself I'd sell the crane for $5

Keep the cannon and most of the accessories and all the soldiers and at least one of the three sections from the fort itself. I often made a profit while keeping a good chunk of the set and always at least got my money back. I repeated this many times. When Toy World Hastings ran out I went to Napier and they had the same special so on I went.
    Sweet, sounds like you should open a Bricklink store! Wish I'd picked up a few of those smaller sets when they were in stores to build up soldiers, I always seem to get into a theme just after its ended.
    I'm probably to inconsistent for Bricklink sometimes I don't have anything to sell and when I do there isn't that much.

It would have been an easy theme to miss it really didn't last long this time. I just hope they bring it back and try a little harder with the sets. Now with PotC around I'm guessing that won't happen.
    Yeah, not with a few more movies yet to be released. Its a shame all the buildings look half-finished, hope they can make a complete-looking Port Royal or something.

I just missed out on that Eldorado Fortress. I was at my parents and had problems with getting their internet working and placed my bid a few seconds too late. Gutted! It only went for $51! That baseplate alone is probably worth around $20, depending on condition.
    edited July 2011
    Yeah I bid up to $50 and the guy had an auto bid so I let it go, it wasn't perfect so I didn't want to pay to much and I've got a few other things on my watch list so I'm trying to budget. Theres a Black Knights castle and I want that bad hahaha

A nice big port of some kind would be excellent yes, but the way there going it would be pricey too.