Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Disney Lego

LegorunnerLegorunner Member Posts: 35
edited June 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Since Lego Company already licensed rights for Toys Story, Cars, and PoTC from Disney to create lego sets. I had a interesting discussion with a friend of mine, he mentioned he hopes that Lego Company acquire the license to make Tron sets. He love Tron and Tron Legacy movies so much. He would buy them up in a flash if Lego actually made the sets. I told him it would be 'impossible' for the time being. Reasons: the colors, developing prototypes, making the molds to be proper to the movies, among other things.

What do you think? I'm seeing quite a Disney Theme going on atm. Toys Story, Cars, PoTC and it's gotten me wondering what would be next since PoTC will be a definite due to two sets that's from the first 3 movies that is: Queen's Anne Revenge and Black Pearl. Rest of the sets in PoTC are from 4th movie correct? That means Lego hasn't yet made any sets based on 1-3 movies apart from the ships.

Comments

• thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    ^ There are 3 PotC sets which are not from the 4th movie or are ships which are:

4181 Isla de Muerta (1st movie)
    4182 Cannibal Escape (2nd movie)
    4183 The Mill (2nd movie)

There is a discussion about PotC and suggestions/guesses for the next wave of sets (if there is one) here: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/535/predictions-for-the-next-wave-of-potc-sets/p1

I don't think Tron has enough grab with the younger generation, despite the new movie, compared to the nostalgia factor with the 'less young' generation to warrant Lego bothering to get that license.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    Is there actually going to be another Tron movie? I never heard anything about another being made. I ask that because is Tron really doesn't play out to be a "saga" then the chances of Lego getting it from Disney are less than zero.

PotC will have more sets... not to worry. Isn't Disney planning something like two more Pirates movies after the latest one!? So Lego if likely to hold strongly to this long child capturing theme.

Toy Story was a very interesting theme, so I wouldn't mind if Lego recreates some of the other classic Disney told tales.
  • LegorunnerLegorunner Member Posts: 35
    @ypres actually according to www.imdb.com somewhere in the news section they announced they have hired a new writer for the third tron film. My only issue is how soon will they get the ball going on third tron film. I don't want to wait other "28" years for it lol.

If you have seen tron legacy on blu-ray, there was extra in there that said Flynn lives. That may implies that Flynn survived that scene in end of the film where he took clu back in him.

Yes, Disney will make two more to complete the PoTC saga. 6 films in all. I heard they wanted to get started on 5th film, Johnny Depp himself said he want to slow down and enjoy it than rush in and make other one right away like the director, others want to.

Pretty much sum it up.
  • winter_zombiewinter_zombie Banned Posts: 54
    Ive loved tron since i was a kid
    the new tron film is just amazing and the music by daft punk is just WOW
    id do anything for some Tron lego
    I still haven't even seen Tron... just looks like a bunch of lights when I see the ad! LOL! Maybe that would mean Lego could use a lot of unique glow-in-the-dark pieces! Sorry but I totally love those pieces!!!

Well going back to the general Disney topic... don't they own Marvel as of a few years ago??? So maybe seeing stuff like The Avengers isn't too far off for the next year?! Not to get anyone's hopes up but there'll be plenty of kids going nuts for the movie which I believe is due in 2012. I'd bet right about now that 2012 will see a Marvel type theme from Lego.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    I agree, I hope the Marvel world heads over to Lego as part of the Lego/Disney deal, but right now Marvell have a deal with Megablocks so I guess it depends on when that ends. That said I think Disney used to have a deal with Megablocks as I recall PoTC and Cars being made under the Megablocks brand a few years ago and now they are Lego ranges so here's hoping.
    I certainly think we will see a lot of the new Disney films get the Lego treatment, personally ibwould love to see Tinkerbell go all Lego as my daughter would go nuts for that.
    Yes, the Lego/Disney partnership offers a great chance to move into recreating classic characters and movies. My sister, working part time at TRU, has been asked more than once about whether there's Lego directed towards girls. So I support the idea if Lego decides to make the Princess theme of all the classic Disney fairytale stories. This would at least give Lego an accurate idea of how much it's worth investing into a potential girl's market. Well maybe as long as Lego doesn't actually call it "Princesses" I wouldn't have any shame buying a set reminding me of many good childhood memories.
  • LegorunnerLegorunner Member Posts: 35
    Well, that remains to be seen on both Lego and Disney's sides on what you both monkey_roo and Ypres said.

Give them due time, I'm sure Lego will come out with something newer later on for next few months to a year from now.
  • GalidorneveragainGalidorneveragain Member Posts: 89
    I have seen a pattern since the release of disney sets in 2010.In the first year we experienced the release of two different system sets.The first from Toy Story-A Pixar animation and the second from Prince of Persia-A Disney life action.Then this year we have had Cars-A Pixar animation and Pirates of the Caribbean- A Disney life action.So maybe this pattern will continue into next year.What with films like Monsters Inc,Newt and The Lone Ranger to name a few.