Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

[US] Possible Craigslist scam for 10179

ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 418
edited March 2013 in Shopping USA/Canada
I'm making everyone aware of this problem so hopefully no one else has any difficulties.

At 12:04 EST on Friday 3/22 the following ad was posted in the Grand Rapids, MI craigslist:

"found this in a storage locker i bought and i'm selling for 200.00 which i think its worth.somebody told me it was orth it but they dont know either.it is a star wars millinum falcon 10179 still in sealed box.i can only accept payypal as i'm very busy man.i'll mail it or after i see your serious by paying with payypal i'll let you come by to pick it up.give me your email address and i'll send invoice.first come first serve.i cannot hold or wait because i've been burned before."

There is a picture of a mint box with a first edition logo. Image matching searches revealed nothing so I contacted the seller.

Here are the messages received over the following days: (They are chronologically reversed.)

hi dan,sorry got busy yesterday.could you meet about 8pm.if so let me know and i'll give you my address.i got to run get a bite to eat and go by walmart and when i get back i'll check my email.if you can meet today give me your number and i'll call when i get back

To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:53 PM
Subject: RE: star wars lego milinium falcon 10179 (mi)

Steven,

I sent the payment about three minutes after this email, did you get it okay? When do you want to meet? I am at your service and would like to meet up at your earliest convenience. Thanks!

Dan

Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: star wars lego milinium falcon 10179 (mi)

sorry went to kansas on vacation and just getting back online.we can do this today if you still want it.i'll send invoice and check back shortly and if you pay then i'll email and we'll get in touch on phone and figure out a place

Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 2:58 PM
Subject: RE: star wars lego milinium falcon 10179 (mi)

Sure thing. My paypal email is ----------------@--------

Would you prefer cash to save on the fee? I can come by and pick it up today. Or meet somewhere if you prefer. Let me know, thanks!

Dan

Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: star wars lego milinium falcon 10179 (mi)

yes it is.give me your email and i'll send invoice

Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:05 AM
Subject: star wars lego milinium falcon 10179 (mi)

Hi!

I will take the Lego set if it's still available. Let me know, thanks!

Dan

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/clt/3697099346.html

The paypal invoice was for a "Steven White" and there was no contact information whatsoever included. Needless to say no phone call or email came yesterday. (My wife and I drove an hour up to the GR area to be nearby when it did come.)

I had been suspicious from the beginning but figured that paypal would protect me in the event of fraud so I proceeded hoping for one of those crazy deals that sometimes come through local buying. With the events of yesterday my suspicion was piqued and this morning I used a search website to search the entire US for a similar craigslist ad when I came upon this in Orange County, CA:

"i have a star wars millinium falcon legos 10179 thats still in sealed box that i'm selling.i know its collectable but thats about as much as i know.a friend said i could possibly get 2-250 out of it so thats what i'm asking,250.00.i can only accept payppal so if your interested please email me your email and i'll shoot you a invoice then you can come pick it up or i'll mail it,thanks"

This had been posted at 12:20 EST on 3-19

No picture this time, and the wording isn't identical, but the syntax, the phrasing, and even the typos are too similar to ignore. Needless to say I called paypal and had a dispute put on the payment immediately and have been guaranteed by them that I will get my $200 back.

So everyone be on your guard. I have to believe that with the USA Today article now every scammer in the country knows the value of this particular set, and this is only the beginning of situations like this!

Comments

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,138
    Thanks for the warning. When dealing with Craigslist if you can't inspect the item and pay cash then it's best to walk away. Randy Moss said it best... "Straight Cash Homey!"
    BuriedinBricks
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 418
    ^ This.

That was red flag numero uno! Why would anyone want paypal "because I've been burned before" instead of a same-day transaction with a couple hundred dollar bills?
  • zippityzoomzippityzoom Member Posts: 86
    Craigslist LEGO scams in NYC area is a regular occurence. There's nary a day where you don't see some amazing set on sale for retail or less. It's so rampant, I sometimes troll them for yuks.

Me: "I'll offer you double if we can meet up."
    Scammer (almost always):
    a) I work long hours and don't have time."
    b) I actually don't live in NYC area, but wanted to sell it in a bigger market." c) Do you get to see the merchandise when you buy something online? This is the same."
    d) Look, if you're a serious buyer, you'd just buy it. I have a lot of people asking about it.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Yep, blah, blah, blah, all a scam...

Craigslist deals are always cash, always in person, always inspect item before pay.

Always. No exceptions. Ever.

All exceptions are a scam, all the time, no matter what.

If someone wants PayPal, list it on eBay.
    cardgeniusBuriedinBricks
  • zippityzoomzippityzoom Member Posts: 86
    ^ Co-sign that.

If you fall for a Craigslist scam via PayPal, then you're as gullible as people who give money to Nigerian princes over email.
    After all, who on earth goes to Kansas for a two-day vacation? ;-)

"Ah, there's nothing like Kansas in March! Smell the mud!"
    kylejohnson11
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    If you have a PayPal account you know what it is worth.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,085
    edited April 2013
    I'll probably be accused of another April Fools hoax but this Craigslist post did pique my interest today. No response back yet on my email, but I'm sure this guy's in-box exploded today. Any Atlanta folks actually snag this supposed bargain?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/clt/3716013124.html

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,248
    Won't accuse you of an April Fool's hoax.

But I will accuse the seller :-)

This, unfortunately, screams scam all over. I hope no one paid him a penny.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    Isn't that the same scam someone saw in MN that there was a thread about?
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited April 2013
    ^ Indeed, it looks extremely similar to: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/10019/us-possible-craigslist-scam-for-10179 I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's the same person.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 548
    A post for a 10179 showed up on the Chicago Craigslist today: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tag/3716032943.html
    I rather wonder if the April Fools prank is on the person with their phone number posted.
    Missed that above thread. Sure looks like scam. Nice to have this community to compare notes with and make it harder on the less-then-honest folks out there.
    Yup, same guy. I've reported him to CL but they apparently don't care.

The typos on "PayPal" must be deliberate. Perhaps CL has a filter in place to screen posts with that keyword?

I have to imagine he's collected dozens (if not hundreds) of $200 payments so far.
  • BrickographyBrickography Member Posts: 15
    Sad, very sad.
  • ReliantReliant Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2013
    SirBen said:

A post for a 10179 showed up on the Chicago Craigslist today: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tag/3716032943.html
    I rather wonder if the April Fools prank is on the person with their phone number posted.

Hahaha that's great!

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,208
    Paypal does not protect on transactions outside of eBay though, do they?
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    ^ they do as long it is not a personal-no fees payment. For example all bricklink orders are protected.

Paypal does not protect on transactions outside of eBay though, do they?

Sorry, do they protect for transactions where no shipping information is present?
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    They do, seller has to show prof of shipment if there is a dispute.
    I contacted paypal the same morning I posted this original thread. I let them know the situation and they opened a dispute for me. For what it's worth they immediately found in my favor and refunded my money, which was deposited back in my account yesterday. So that at least is good.

The key was that I never contacted the seller once I found the second listing, just went straight to paypal. I'm sure if I'd sent some "I know you're scamming" or "please give me my money back" messages he would have closed up shop immediately and I wouldn't have seen a dime back.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    My favorite part of this whole topic is the word "possible" when it always is.
    I received this today without any other sort of communication, to include the exchange of Paypal addresses. I also found the exact same post in Orlando today so there is no doubt it's a scam. Thinking of writing back something like "Thanks for contacting me. All information has been forwarded to the Atlanta/Orlando Police department, cyber crimes division." At least it should get him to close up shop for a few days.

Apr 3, 2013 11:22:58 PDT
    Hello XXXX XXXXXXXX,

thomas ware would like to be paid through PayPal.
    Merchant
    thomas ware
    [email protected]
    Note from merchant
    Description Amount
    Service $225.00 USD
    Total $225.00 USD

Pay with PayPal
    thomas ware would like you to use PayPal - the safer, easier way to pay and get paid online. Click the Pay Now to continue.

Questions? Go to the Help Center at: https://www.paypal.com/us/help

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click Help in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

You can receive plain text emails instead of HTML emails. To change your Notifications preferences, log in to your account, go to your Profile, and click My settings.

PayPal Email ID PP1525

• dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    Pretty much echoing the above but never do Paypal transactions over Craigslist, I'm pretty sure they even say so all over the pages as well. It's best to avoid it altogether, even if it seems legit (though this one didn't)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,334
    I didn't want to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to post text message my wife received from yet another Craigslist Scammer. This is the third such text message we have gotten for various items we have listed. This could very well could pertain to Lego as well.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Yeah, that's the typical craigslist scam. We get those all the time for anything we post. The check 'clears' and is then discovered it's fake a week or two later, at which point the bank takes all the money back from you, plus fees and charges. They also often try to get you to respond via your regular email address, at which point they put it on their spam list of known good/active email addresses to sell.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401

After all, who on earth goes to Kansas for a two-day vacation? ;-)

"Ah, there's nothing like Kansas in March! Smell the mud!"

I'm from Kansas and I have to agree with this...
    Pitfall69 said:

I didn't want to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to post text message my wife received from yet another Craigslist Scammer. This is the third such text message we have gotten for various items we have listed. This could very well could pertain to Lego as well.

Is the check from a Nigeria Prince? Cause you know it is good if it is from a Nigeria Prince
    red237minicoopers11
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Why is it they always say not a PO Box, I don't understand that part. I mean you can send a fake check anywhere right.
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 376
    edited July 2014
    Two reasons I can think of. First, police can rent a P.O. Box, so a physical address would give more... Safety? Second, confidence. It's a con game. If they have standards, you're more inclined to trust them. Look, they live by civilized rules! Is an easy way to build confidence.
  • LouiseLouise Member Posts: 5
    I wonder what would happen if the scammer with a fake cheque were to try and 'buy' from the scammer with the fake (as in 'non-existent') Lego set?
    minicoopers11BrickDancer
  • minicoopers11minicoopers11 USAMember Posts: 104
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, that might just tear a hole in the universe!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^I kinda want to see that happen actually. The possible resulting scenarios can be entertaining =)